29 October 2009

Saturday fever...

Hi all. It’s a very cloudy Thursday morning and I’m sitting at my desk wishing it’s a weekend and I’m under my bed-covers. I love weekends; you sleep as much as you want and can afford to throw out your alarm clock through the window, and maybe into the lagoon for lasting peace. How I love and miss Saturdays with my family; the round-two early morning sleep, the smothering chatter of excited family members, the smell of boiled yam and fried eggs, the morning movies, and the issues-of-life debates that usually follows when stomachs have refuelled. Not to mention the lazing around when there is no appointment to keep, or something to do. Of course there was always laundry and cleaning up to do.


I remember how washing daddy’s clothes used to be the ultimate on Saturdays for my older cousins because they always found some ‘change’ for the weekend. I suspect he was ‘forgetting’ the monies in his pockets on purpose so they had a little reward for their labour because even when they chose to return it to him (with their church minds, you know, when the money is much and they’re afraid to spend it) he often let them have it. Tidying up the rooms was my own forte. And it had its rewards too (you never know what you find and what you get for finding them!) The chores took time yet we had most of the day to ourselves.

Basically, Saturdays were fun days that I looked forward to for resting and gaining dexterity at my hobbies, until I ‘grew up’ and began to look for money. And relocated to Lagos, and ........ and then wanted more money. I guess we can’t want the damn thing enough, right?

Seriously, I can’t remember the last time I stayed home on a Saturday and just chilled, you know, all by myself, doing my own thing. I mean there’s so much happening now that by Tuesday; the “To-Dos” for Saturday have begun to pile up like laundry, with no washer-man but yours truly. If God rested on the seventh day, shouldn’t mere mortals? Okay maybe not all of us are mere mortals.

The point is, normal peopple should want to rest after putting in about 10hrs, Monday through Friday. I always wonder what superiors are thinking when they doll out tasks for Saturdays, and worst still without incentives. Not like once in a while, but weekend after weekend. What I even find most frustrating is the fact that when you close your eyes to sleep Friday nights, by the time you open it, it’s Monday morning, and aluta continua. It so sucks.

The trick for me has been to passionately romance my job, and always say yes i can (Phil 4:13). If nothing, it betters you. So deligence isn't an option here. I will continue to improve on what i'm hired to do but i'm going to take fresh breathes more often.

I just want to get my groove back. Between you and I, not only have I recently acquired a hobby that I don’t intend to let slip, I’ve also redefined my ‘rest’ to amongst other things include jolly outings with friends – Real friends exclusively – which I’m hoping will clear my psyche of the boredom of a long time triangular church-home-office pattern of movement, and put some vibe into me self.

Most said and about done, I’m looking forward to Saturday, my morale is high and no amount of files on my desk or pain-in-the-butts task can diminish that.

Sincerely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmmm.........Saturday fever! i hope friends like us feature in your plans o....lol

Have fun gurl, u rock!

K.