25 September 2014

Snatching God's Child

Perhaps some things are better left the way they are. Some things like.......................unwanted pregnancies?


There have been a lot of talks regarding abortion, from why it should be legalized to why it’s a sin. But what really should our position be on this? I mean as a Christian, what is the standard, are there cases where it is permissible?


Personally I had been quiet on the subject either because it didn’t affect me in any way or because I just didn’t care about it; I was indifferent. Until yesterday. And here’s what happened;


I had this habit of teasing mothers who bragged about the contraceptive measure they had taken. I teased them with the possibilities of them getting pregnant ‘miraculously’. Usually I’d say “Don’t count on it (by this I mean the contraceptive), miracles happen”. Indeed, I had heard of a lady who took in at 49, in spite of the fact that she’d tied her uterus!



I ran into an old friend and colleague yesterday at the coffee room of my office floor (the coffee machine on their floor I gathered was faulty). She was glowing and looking delectable in a blue A-line dress. She attributed it to the fact that her kids had gone off to their grandma’s for about 2 weeks. According to her, they were doing just fine but she couldn’t wait for schools to resume (no thanks to Ebola). In her words “those girls are a chore, I can’t even dream of an addition”.


“Hmm be careful there, miracles happen” I teased.


“Ah if it enters I will send it back to sender. Trust me!” she replied with a skillful wink.


“Seriously?”


“Oh certainly dear, it shouldn’t try me o” she warned with a joky frown and took a sip at her cappuccino.


I gave her words a quick thought and asked if she didn’t consider that an abortion.


Abor wetin? After I have taken the necessary measure and the child still enters? My dear I will take it out sharply” she replied snapping her fingers as she hurried off.


My thoughts on our little discussion furthered until the reality hit hard. We had just discussed ABORTION!


Growing up, I had learnt bad girls opt for abortion when for one irresponsible reason or the other, they have an unwanted pregnancy. And I learnt also that it was not an option as a child of God. But as a married woman, I’m learning that this subject extends to married women too! It’s termed D and C. Perhaps that’s why it didn’t quite strike me as the word ABORTION. I understand from the many stories I've heard/read that there are many reasons why a married woman can have a D and C; from health challenges to improper timing, for instance taking in before her last child is barely a year. I once heard of a lady who took in while she was still on her maternity leave. There's the account of another who for few of loosig her new job, opted for an abortion. But then I asked myself, what if it happened to me, what would I do? Carry the pregnancy or take it out?


Is D and C the same as Abortion? If I have a D and C (or abortion if you like), what makes me different from that irresponsible girl or careless woman who does the same? What should a Christian woman do when she discovers she’s pregnant and for whatever reason, cannot have or carry the child? Is abortion the only way out? What’s God’s mind for us concerning this?


I discussed this with another married friend and she shared her experience;


She had told herself and anyone who cared to listen that she was done having children and that if by any means she gets pregnant, she will take it out. So one night, she had a dream. In that dream, she saw some persons break into her house. It was dark so she couldn’t see them clearly. A short while later they left and she realized that they had taken her children with them. As she screamed and cried for her children, she woke up. In her words “instead of grabbing my anointing oil bottle to kabash round the house, I knew I had just received a message from the Lord, and it was deeply impressed in my heart. God was saying to me that each time a woman takes out a child, she has snatched that child from Him without consulting Him on what plans He had for that child. It’s dark in there and He doesn’t really see what the woman is up to with her moves”.

If God is the owner of the babies that we concieve, I believe that it is only morally right that we consult Him first if we have issues carrying/birthing any child. Fortunately, He's an all-knowing God; He sees well beyond what the scans and Gynaecologists can tell you, and He's aware of the complications there might be. On top of that, He is well able to give instructions and guidiance on what to do.

I believe if we go to God with a sincere heart, with the help of the Holy Spirit, we will find the wisdom and grace for the situation. Stories abound of women who carried their pregnancies through certain complications and successfully had their babies, while some others obtained grace to do otherwise. The important thing is to check with God and follow His leading.

Roms 8:14 says "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God". If you're truly God's child, then let Him lead you, let Him lead your every step including handling that unwanted/unsafe pregnancy. Handling it your way may be tantamount to rebelling against God and His purpose.

There’s the account of a lady whose husband had warned sternly that he didn’t want another child (they already had two), and wasn’t even willing to discuss it when she ‘mistakenly’ took in. Confused, broken and hurt, she opted to take it out to ‘keep her marriage’. And without checking with God, the true owner of that child, she went under the knife. But to her utter dismay, a few days later her husband accused her of infidelity. She quotes him “considering the speed with which you took out that baby, how am I sure it was mine?” It started as a joke but before she knew it, her marriage was on fire because of that accusation. Then she remembered God and ran to Him for help.

I'm sure God will prefer that He's our first point of call ALWAYS, not only when we face obstacles or encounter problems.


So my dear, this matter is personal and should be between the individual and her God. Check with God first before taking that step even if your spouse okays it” she concludes.


Well yes but I know some Christians who don’t have issues with this thing you call abortion. When they're pregnant and are not ready, they ‘quietly’ decline the pregnancy and move on. They keep it to themselves and nobody hears about it. Some won’t even discuss it even though it’s a real issue” someone added. “And i don't think that makes them any less christian. So I’d say it depends really on your perception, period. If you think it's okay, do it but if you think otherwise, don't


Apparently, there are as many views on the subject as there are individuals. I took a poll and here are some of the interesting comments i gathered in addition;


“Abortion is the same as D n C but the consequences or implications are lighter with a married woman”

"If you're not ready to have a child, why have unprotected sex? You should know what to expect. I'd rather prevent a pregnancy than cure it please"

“If you take out the fertilized egg before it takes the form of a human, it is not an abortion”
"You may never understand the trauma that follows the knowing that you're pregnant at the wrong time. Do not judge any decision a woman or girl takes  until you're confronted with the same problem she has"

"90 percent of the times, women who have abortion do so more out of economic, social and occupational reasons than health reasons. So let's be clear on why a woman will clamour that abortion be legalized or be a matter of choice. If you get paid a large some of money for having children, I bet abortion rates will drop drastically"

"I was to be aborted because my mother conceived me about three months after she had my elder brother but on the day she was to have the D&C, she had a dream where she was instructed otherwise. My father i was told protested and threathened fire but he eventually gave up.By God's grace, today not only am i his favourite child, i'm the most successful of my siblings, and my mother can't thank God enough that she heeded His instructions."

“If unwanted babies are taken out with the mutual consent of a couple, there’s nothing wrong with that”


“Abortion is okay when you’re married”

"Abortion is not an option, you never know how that child will turn out"

"Imagine that Moses what aborted! It was a bad time yet his mother had him"

"Well it all depends on the situation. If the child is deformed for instance, it's ok to take it out"
"My wife can have an abortion with my consent, i don't have a problem with that"

"I will say let God direct you on what to do per time"


“However you look at it, whatever you term it, abortion is abortion and it’s a sin”

But what does the bible say about this?

I'm still checking my bible and I haven't found any text that expressly advocates pro-choice. And in my little research, I've stumbled on some helpful articles, please look them up. I'd be glad to hear your thoughts.

  1. By Ryan Turner of CARM
  2. By Got Questions.Org
It's my prayer that as we strive daily to work out our salvation with fear and trembling, that we find grace to allow God precide over our affairs. And regardless of the situation we find ourselves, may we never snatch God's children in Jesus name. Amen.
 

2 comments:

Busola J. said...

My dear this is one subject i've really wished we clarified. As a mother, i've asked myself the same question of what i will do if i realize i am with child at my age (I'm 40 with 4 children of my own).

I'm sure i will follow God's leading, hoping that my husband is cooperative.



M.A said...

You know, an extension of this subject is – the use of contraceptives. Should christians use them? Many views on this also…..
- Why prevent something by human intervention that God may want to bring forth? We can say “If God wants it it will definitely come”… well, maybe….but does God really always strive with us?
- It’s wisdom and God expets us to apply wisdom…why let yourself get pregnant and keep having children when you maybe cant take care of them?
- - etc.
But what does the bible say on these things? And where we find nothing express concerning it, what does the Holy Spirit say?
Personally, this is one area I ponder over from time to time…..